Information about the register of Victorian lawyers
Information about Victorian lawyers that appears on the register of lawyers includes:
- Lawyer name
- Law practice name
- Address for service (suburb, state and postcode)
- Languages spoken (voluntary)
- Areas of law practiced (voluntary)
- Any LIV accredited specialisations held (voluntary
- Disciplinary action taken against a lawyer (find out more about disciplinary action here)
During the renewal process
You can change your name, address for service and update your areas or practice and language information during the renewal process using the ‘Renew your practising certificate’ form.
To update your law practice / organisation name:
- If you have changed employer, this can be changed in the ‘Practice/contact’ tab. Instructions on how to do this are provided in our ‘Changing my place of practice’ user guide
- If you need to change the name of your organisation, use the lawyer enquiry form to let us know
To update your LIV specialist accreditation please email email@example.com.
At other times in the year
You can make these changes in LSB Online at any time of the year.
- Log into LSB Online
- Select 'Forms' in the top right corner
- Select 'Update your personal details, practice details, languages spoken or practice areas'
- Make sure you click the 'Edit' button to make changes in each tab
You can change your legal name in the 'Personal Details' tab.
If you are changing your first name or surname, you will need to upload a scanned copy of your change of name certificate (e.g. marriage certificate, deed poll certificate, driver's licence).
Law practice name
If you need to change the name of your organisation, use the lawyer enquiry form to let us know.
View our comprehensive guide to see how to change your employer or position.
Address for service
You can update the address for service in the 'Practice/Contact' tab.
- The address must be a street address
- Only the suburb, postcode and state will appear on the register of lawyers.
You can change the languages you speak in the 'Languages' tab. You can select up to five languages.
If your language is not listed, you can use the 'Not listed' field.
Areas of law practiced
You can add or remove practice areas in the 'Practice areas' tab. You can select up to 15 areas of practice to appear on the register.
LIV accredited specialisation
To update your LIV accredited specialisation on the register, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
This cannot be updated through LSB Online.
You can access the register of lawyers on our website here.
The register of lawyers provides consumers of legal services with valuable information about engaging a lawyer. Information about a lawyer’s areas of practice, language proficiency and any specialist accreditations can help a consumer make an informed decision about the right lawyer to support them. We won’t publish these details on the register without your consent.
We also use this information to understand the demographics and make-up of the legal sector, and report on this in our annual report (all data is de-identified).
This information is voluntary and you do not have to answer these questions.