Skip to Content

Information for interstate lawyers on managing your practising certificate

Before you apply, please consider the following:

  • Interstate practitioners are allowed to practise in Victoria on a valid interstate practising certificate until that certificate expires on 30 June. Please check with your current law society / jurisdiction that they are satisfied with this arrangement, as they may want you to surrender your current practising certificate and apply for a Victorian certificate.
  • If you decide to stay and continue practising in Victoria in the new financial year, you will need to provide us with a certificate of fitness from your current law society before you can apply for a Victorian practising certificate, which may take effect from 1 July. Please allow enough time for your current law society to prepare your certificate of fitness and for us to accept it.

To apply for a Victorian certificate, you will need to follow the steps as set out in the ‘Applying for my first practising certificate’ guide.

If you wish to practise as a principal, please see our ‘Applying for a principal practising certificate’ page for what we require.

You should apply for a practising certificate in the state that you intend to be your principal place of practice.

No, you can work for an organisation that is based interstate or overseas. The organisation you work for will need to be registered in Victoria. Overseas entities do not need to be registered.

You can check if your organisation is registered when applying for or renewing your practising certificate on the 'Practice/contact' screen. Click 'Add practice' and search for your organisation. To register a new organisation with us contact us via the lawyer enquiry form and select 'Practising certificate' and 'Apply for, modify or cancel my practising certificate' from the categories.

Yes, you may need to notify the local regulator that you are a partner of a law practice operating in that jurisdiction. You should apply for a practising certificate in the state that you intend to be your principal place of practice.

Yes, you are able to represent your client in a Victorian Court on you interstate practicing certificate. However, as a matter of courtesy you should inform the Court beforehand that you practice on an interstate certificate.

We would advise that you:

  • Check that your insurance covers you for work undertaken in another jurisdiction
  • Contact your regulator to ensure you are complying with any requirements needed with engaging in legal practice for a matter in another jurisdiction

You do not need to notify us that you are practicing in Victoria.

Last updated on
* Indicates required field
Back to top