Skip to Content

Changing my practising certificate type

Use these instructions to change your practising certificate type. For example, you may move from employee to principal, or from a principal to a government type.

If you are not changing your practising certificate but would like to update your employer or personal details, please instead use the ‘Update my personal details'  or 'Change my place of practice’ user guides. 

Visit LSB Online

Click on the button ‘Log into LSB Online’

Log into LSB Online

Enter your log-in details

Your username is your practitioner number [P1234567] which you can find on your current certificate

Login form image

Select ‘Practicing certificates’ from the menu

On the home screen

Select ‘Apply for or change your practising certificate’

On the Forms screen

You will see the practising certificate application and variation form home screen. It contains six sections to complete, however many areas will be populated with your existing information.

The blue ‘?’ buttons contain useful tips to help you complete the form

Application variation form

Most of your details will already be populated. Please check these are correct.

Applicant details

The ‘Date practising certificate to take effect’ needs to be the same as the day your new certificate type begins - for example, the date start work with your new employer or in your new position. This date can’t be before the date you submit your application to us.

Date practising

Select your new ‘Practising certificate type’ from the drop down.

If you are registering for a principal certificate you will need to complete an approved practice management course or complete the principal practising certificate application form before applying online. Please see the principal practising certificate FAQs for more information.

You will also need to register any new entities with us – for example, if you start a new sole practice or law firm.

Practising certificate type

If you have also changed organisations you need to update this here. Skip this step if you have not changed organisations.

Practice/contact tab

Under the section ‘Current practices’ you will find a drop down menu with your current place of practice

Current practices

Click on the ‘Cease’ button

Cease button

Enter the date your position with your employer will cease. Select your ‘Cease reason’ from the drop down menu.

Click ‘Continue’

Cease pop-up

Click the blue ‘Add practice’ button to add your new employer

Add practice box

Start typing the practice/organisation name into the first box and then select the correct organisation from the list

The system will automatically populate the practice type and address

If you can’t find your organisation on the list you will need to contact us via the lawyer enquiry form 

Select the ‘Position type’ from the drop down list

You can add multiple places of practice (for example, if you also work as a volunteer, or work two part time jobs), and you should answer ‘Yes’ to the place of practice where you spend the most time

Enter your ‘Commencement date’. This must be later than your ‘Cease date’ above and can’t be before the date you submit this application to us.

Click ‘Continue’

You will now see your new employer details under the ‘Law practice’ section

Add practice pop up

If your address for service has changed you will now need to update this. This must be a street address, and the suburb, state and postcode will appear on the register of lawyers online

You can also choose a preferred mailing address which can be either your address for service or primary place of practice

Address for service

These questions help us make a decision about whether we can issue you with a practising certificate

Select your place of residence from the drop down list. 

Select the ‘Principal place of practice’ from the drop down list. If not ‘Victoria’ provide details

If your place of residence and/or principal place of practice is not Victoria view our interstate lawyer FAQs 


If you are a newly admitted lawyer, your first practising certificate will have a supervised legal practice condition and you will see this question. This means that you must be supervised while you engage in legal practice. For information about supervised legal practice and when this condition can be removed see our supervised legal practice FAQs 

Supervised legal practice

Unless you have a new matter to disclose select ‘No’ to this question . Please see the ‘Notes’ or our disclosure and how cause events FAQs for more information.

Fit and proper person to hold a practising certificate

Unless you have a new matter to disclose select ‘No’ to this question . Please see the ‘Notes’ or our disclosure and how cause events FAQs for more information.

Show cause or notifiable events

Select ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ here. For more information about continuing professional development requirements see our continuing professional development FAQs

Continuing professional development

This section is not mandatory but provides valuable data for the sector. 

Information provided about areas of practice or languages can be included on the register of lawyers if you consent.

You/Your practice tab

Tick the boxes for the areas of law in which you practice (or intend to practice). You can tick a maximum of 15. 

If you are already employed you can also enter details about the days and hours you work each week.

Practice areas box

Select your country of birth from the drop down list

Select up to two ancestries

Tick the boxes for any languages that you speak

Ethnic and cultural diversity questions

Select ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ here to let us know if you already hold a practising certificate, or have recently applied for one, from a jurisdiction other than Victoria

If you are registering from interstate you must surrender any current practising certificates before you can submit this application

Enter a ‘Tick’ in the declaration box, which is your digital signature


If you would like your information about areas of practice and languages to be included on the register of lawyers online select ‘Yes’ to the consent questions.

If you select ‘No’ but provided details in the previous section this information will only be used for de-identified reporting.

Use and disclosure of personal information

A summary of your information will appear in the ‘Payment’ screen

Click ‘Confirmed’ or go back and edit your information if incorrect


Your fees will now display, including if there is a difference between your new certificate type and your old certificate type

We can’t issue you a refund if your new certificate costs less than your previous one

If you owe money

Select your payment method. You can pay by BPAY or credit card

If you select credit card the payment screen will load and you can enter your details. A tax receipt will be emailed to you.

If you select BPAY we will email you with the BPay payment details

We can’t issue you with a tax invoice for later payment. You need to select either credit card or BPAY to submit your application.


Click ‘Submit’ to send your application to us for review. If you don’t click submit the application will remain in draft form and you will not get your new practising certificate.

Last updated on
* Indicates required field
Back to top